Sunday, May 22, 2011

Doomsday & Poetry

Judgment day has come and gone, yet we are all still here. It must be because we're all sinners. We will all suffer in torment for the next 5 months. Bring it on, End of Days! You may have Jesus on your side, but I got plenty of canned goods and appropriate end-of-days clothing, as suggested by religious sanctions. yeaaa.

On another note, here's some just-for-fun descriptive poetry (they're not exactly new material but I can barely think right now so no new writing).

My heart lies with Nantasket Beach. I grew up on a small peninsula just south of Boston. Everywhere you look there's ocean. My backyard was sand. I miss it. Cheers to home....



NANTASKET BEACH

Without notice the sun dashes
in to hiding, protected by a throng
of pewter clouds extending across
the encompassing sky. Droplets begin
pelting down, warning everyone to flee.
Almost instantly every towel, boombox,
shovel, and sunscreen are tossed into straw
bags, raced to the parking lot, and retired
to the trunk. Standing on my porch I feel
my hair curling from the thick moisture. The slightest
breeze tingles my fried summer skin, sending
shivers through every limb. The taste
of rain mixed with seaweed-infested air wafts
toward shore, overwhelming the atmosphere.
Thunder echoes and I count the seconds before
the yellow-white rays jolt
out of the clouds. Lightning
glistens over the ferocious waves.
Absolutely enthralled by its shock,
I soak up the storm before, without notice, it
disappears into the horizon.

This is my favorite part of summer-
Crowds disappear and finally the beach
takes a break. As the sun sets
the sky radiates vibrant pink-red-purple
beams, as though it was blushing.
The pitter-patter of the waves cradle
me to sleep as darkness blankets
every dune.


http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v255/12/75/32002076/n32002076_30885746_4304.jpg?dl=1
__________________________________________Nantasket Sunrise___
Here's another silly one (at least the ladies will giggle):


THE BEST PLACE TO CURE A FLUSTERED
HEART IS, OF COURSE, THE SHOE DEPARTMENT.

Aisles upon aisles of flats, straps, boots, everything
from classy to chintzy, striking to humdrum. Carelessly
wandering up and down rows, trying on pairs
as I please. Some slip on easily but pinch, some fit perfectly
but are unsightly, others too small, too plain, too costly.
I’ve been known to give into jazzy shoes, the ones that show
off my legs but leave blisters in the morning. Typical.

Check-out time and I find myself choosing between
classic New Balance sneakers and stunning Steve Madden heels.
Tennis shoes are practical and reliable. Unlike the open toe
high heeled kicks, I could wear runner’s shoes
everyday and let them accommodate every curve and arch
of my fragile feet, lending all the support I need. Pumps
aren’t exactly comfortable, but damn are they sexy. Tango
straps, my favorite color, and a dent in my wallet.
They call my name. I call their name.
They make me forget the last pair of heels I owned
that resulted in crutches. I try them on back and forth,
sneakers and pumps, debating.

How could I possibly choose between the man who
lovingly treats me with concern and the guy
who carelessly sets ablaze my desire?
I’ve come to get away but suddenly
I’m back where I started.
___________________________________________
I try different types of poetry just for fun (clearly amateur but who cares).. more to come.

K thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment