Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Can't Knock It Til You Try It?

Every once in a while you’ve gotta surprise yourself and try something out of the ordinary, something you thought you’d never do. Maybe a tattoo was a little drastic but hey, what can I say? There was an eerie air last Friday the 13th and the wind caught hold of my sails.

A tall ship? A pirate ship? I don’t even know, I picked it off a wall of select $13 Friday the 13th special at Chimera Tattoo and Body Art Studio(a rad tat shop in Santa Cruz). It was packed. Everyone was so excited I felt like I had to be a part of it. I wasn’t originally going to get a tattoo; I was just there to support my roommates. I don’t like the idea of putting random symbols on your body unless you’ve thought about it (for my body, no judgment to others). Even as I was filling out the consent forms I was like yeaaa probably not gonna do it for real. 


When I saw the ship I thought it was badass. I like the idea of adventure and exploration. I am part Nordic so there is a little pirate in my blood. And I guess it’s always been a little fantasy of mine to sail the open seas forever. Dunno, I may be placing meaning where there is none. It will always be a reminder of my time in Santa Cruz. And, look, it kinda seems like it’s sailing around my ankle, following the nautical star like a true sailor.


My nautical star is the only other tattoo I have, and it took me years to do it. I’m glad I branched out, though. However, I think I’m done getting inked. The boat on my ankle hurt wayyyyy wayyy more than the star on the top of the foot. It’s still sore. My Achilles tendon is my Achilles Heel!

No comments:

Post a Comment