Saturday, September 10, 2011

Outside Lands Music Festival '11

60,000 hipsters and hippies gathered in San Francisco for a 3-day music festival at Golden Gate Park. It was unlike my typical picture of a festival- mainly because no one could camp at the park and it was cold (damnit sanfran, you’re always so chilly!). This made for a very different experience- there weren’t even wristbands! None-the-less there were mounds of heads hoping to see an array of kick-ass shows.

Phish was phucking phenomenal. John Fogerty played a CCR setlist, had fun and killed it on stage (how old is that guy? So ancient and still rockin. He killed it when I saw him at Bonnaroo last year, too.). I realized that I liked a lot of Muse songs separately, some were alright, the show was extremely energetic &awesome but as a whole it was so dramatic and somewhat repetitive. Speaking of repetitive- Deadmau5. I was dancing rave status but the sick beats were few, far between, and the same one every time. He builds it up for so long, drops a sick beat for like a minute, then drops it down again into lag. I like the mouse head he wore, and he used a microphone to make his voice female (I don’t know what those machines are called. The show was a little confusing for a 1st timer). A band called the Infamous String Dusters came outta nowhere and had everyone dancing to some high-energy bluegrass. Who else did I see? Black Keys were sick, MGMT, STS9, and a few other fun shows..but don't listen to my opinion in music, everyone's got their own taste.
  
I feel like I would have a better story for the festy but my personal experience of Outside Lands is dampened by the fact that I felt ill (lymin’) and couldn’t party very much. I was just happy to listen to live music. My friends, however, party like fuckin Rockstars and I still do not know why we didn’t get kicked out of the hotel. We destroyed that place, raging all hours of the night.

Phish "Steam" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHhqyXx5wz0
Creedence Clearwater Revival "Fortunate Son" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec0XKhAHR5I
on a somewhat related/not related note: The Section Quartet covering Muse's Time is Running Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRUTf-EsaTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM8zMjvOp5s&ob=av2n

No comments:

Post a Comment